Sunday, September 28, 2014

Just a ride down
The Mekong River!!!
 
This past Monday was a holiday in Cambodia.
So, we took a small break from the language lessons.
It was refreshing to give the brain a bit of time to process all the foreign words
and sounds it has been subjected to lately.
And it was just as refreshing to see greenery instead of concrete and the occasional palm tree!
[I love living in a city! :) It makes me appreciate the beauty of God's Creation on a different level.]
 
My whole team went, well those of us here so far.
And a friend from church, along with part of her family.
 
 
Waiting to leave the harbour

 

Cambodia's flag

{Disclaimer: I am not a fan of extreme editing.
So with my tongue in my cheek I have to confess that sometimes it does create some nice ART.}
 
This is the view of the Royal Palace--from the River.
 
House boats line the riverbanks
 
*Not 100% sure who lives in these boats. I'm been told different things. Some people say it is a specific people group. Some say it is a specific religious group. And others say it is the very poorest people, those who cannot afford a house in the city but have jobs here.
I don't know which is the truth.
It doesn't matter.
Seeing their tiny houses makes me ashamed at all the things and space I think I need to live.
Yes, my apartment only has three small rooms. Yes, there will be five girls living here in a few short months. Yes, we only have the bare necessities in the kitchen--according to standards in America.
But I am blessed!
I have no "right" to complain.

 Pretty houses dotted the riverbanks occasionally

I think these kids were wondering what these 'barangs' were doing :)

Mango tree surrounded by banana trees

We did not get to see the sunset, but the sky was still beautiful



"Watch me! One day I am going to fly!!"
 
{Poor little man thought we were crazy to make him stand like this. :) Ha!}

"Our" ride ~Lucky Boat I
 
The best seat on the boat was on the roof. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment